Saturday 15 March 2008

Welcome, here is your fresh hot cup of coffee~

Baking, decorating and confectionery making has aways been my passion. One early memory of my ignited passion was of an alternative retelling of Cinderella, where she marries a baker - and as a seven year old I thought, "that would be great, but I'd rather be the one doing all the pastry chef stuff!" But the earliest is when my mum made my 3rd birthday cake- a very well-done and realistic representation of Oscar the Grouch (my all time favourite Sesame Street character. I don't get the Elmo craze). A beautiful artistic cake that also tasted good - amazing! Throughout the years, helping my mum bake, decorate and make delicious sweet food. This drove a small spark within.

But you have to grow up some time. Right?

High school, university and other related baggage that comes with it halted my artistic spark and desire to the point where I kept telling myself that 'I was not good enough' and indeed that became a self-fulfilling prophecy. But then I started seeing everyone else's creations. I thought, 'I would love do do that', 'I could do that' and when I started thinking 'I could do better than that!!!,' the passion for sweets making came back.

But that happened after I became vegan. The removal of animal products such as eggs and cream and finding suitable replacements is a challenging process. But this is what has fueled me even more:

For my goal is to make delicious, scrumptious, attractive sweet foods which are animal cruelty free. I hope you enjoy this blog and learning with me, for I feel that knowledge such as this deserves to be freely shared.

As for the name, it is what I imagine a classy coffeehouse in the 1920's to be named. The spelling of kaffeehause is also a nod to my Austrian heritage and all the delicious sweet goods that come from Austria and the surrounding countries.

1 comment:

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I love this! I was finding vegan baking difficult at first, but once it started to click, I felt like it was fuel to the FIRE! Now I love making an awesome vegan baked good to fool the masses.