Monday 28 April 2008

Daring Bakers - April Challenge: Veganising Cheesecake Lollipops

Daring Bakers? Why, they are a group of lovely people who once a month bake the same recipe and compare the results.

For a sweet loving maker like me, it is heavenly.

Even more so that there are a number of alternative bakers - including vegan - who rise to the challenge of turning many recipes into sumptuous vegan-friendly versions.

For this month, the challenge was Cheesecake Lollipops. Now, back in pregan (a term to denote life before veganism) days I adored cheesecake. Now that I am vegan, I find that I love the alternative cruelty-free cheesecakes, just as nice, wether the "cream cheese" base made from a soy based substitue or from ground nuts (yes you heard me right- 'cheese' made from nuts. It is tastier than you think!). So, this challenge was right up my alley.

Except that I kept pushing it back- until this weekend where I was in a panic, as all those expensive pots of faux 'cream cheese' had disappeard through the Not Chef's gullet. Finally I did manage to come up with something like this:


They aren't as pretty as Hannah's, Gail's, or shellyfish's but oh my, do they taste fine!

I ended up halving the recipe- there was no way I could afford all those tubs of faux cream cheese required (about 1kg's worth!!). To replace the eggs + cream in the recipe, I used a combination of firm silken tofu and egg replacer (Organ's No Egg). I was going to try vegan sour cream and egg replacer, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere where I live sadly. I amped up the vanilla flavour and coated with a dark swirl of organic, fair-trade chocolate. Some I covered in chopped almonds.

And you know what? They taste just like creamy ice cream- like Magnum I used to have back in the omni eating days.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there! You totally made me blush... and I disagree, yours are just as beautiful as everyone elses- really, they look great! This is my first visit to your blog & I'll add you on to my blogroll - "Non-Conformist 90s Grunge Rock Band" or Alternative Daring Bakers Rule!

Lunch Buckets said...

Nicely done Daring Baker! I like your "pregan" term :)

Amy J. said...

Awesome pops!

Elle said...

Your pops look wonderful...and I am so impressed with the great use of alternative ingredients. Gret job on the challenge!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Great job with your pops! Welcome to the Daring Bakers!

Anonymous said...

I think these pops look beautiful - you did a terrific job!!

Sunshinemom said...

I came running here this morning to see the opera cake, as I went crazy thinking of an alternative for the eggs (I use milk etc.). Beautiful cheesepops. The picture looks pretty!