Tuesday 29 April 2008

Cherry Pie


As April is coming to an end, so is my month of baking from The Joy of Vegan Baking. However, it is not the end of a long list of recipes I wanted to try from the book, so rest assured you will see more of it in the future.

I have wanted to bake a cherry pie for ages. Like, years- but have never seemed to get around to it. I am obsessed with cherries and the combination of sweet cherries in a buttery short crust just makes me salivate all over the keyboard.

Thanks to some left over canned dark cherries, last weekend was spent making and inhaling the Cherry Pie from JOVB.

Recipe notes: This recipe required two components to be made 1.) the cherry pie filling and 2.) the short pastry crust. Since the cherries in the filling where already in sweetened syrup, I decided not to add any extra sugar. Also, I replaced the corn flour for arrowroot powder to make the gelled part. Turned out fine.

Now, for the short pastry crust- I have to admit, using vegetable shortening is not something I have ever done in pie making. I used 100% Nuttelex and the pastry turned out perfect. The only shortening available in Australia is Copha and I strongly suspect it has high amounts of trans fat, despite the nutritional label saying otherwise. Of course, I am not a big pie maker, so I had some trouble decorating the damn thing.

Review: Well, I think the pastry on its own needed a bit more sweetness. But it complemented the sweet cherry filling perfectly.

Will I make this again?: Yep.
I might try with fresh cherries and a dollop of cashew cream next time though.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

give me some of that gorgeous pah!!
it looks amazing.

Anonymous said...

This is mouth-watering! I have been thinking about getting this cookbook...you're giving me more reasons to want it!

Erin said...

Celine- it tasted pretty damn nice for such a simple recipe. K ate almost the whole thing by himself! I had to wrestle the last bits from him ;)

shellyfish- I 100% recommend this book! Besides Hannah's My Sweet Vegan, I have not found anything yet in vegan dessert land that comes close to this.

Anonymous said...

This looks absolutely delicious!!! I have this book...I must make this :)