Saturday 31 May 2008

Daring Bakers - April Challenge: The Failed Opera Cake

This is what happens when you are sent to work across the country for nearly a month, then come home and realise that a daring bakers challenge is due.

Now opera cake, something that has always intrigued me, but I have never really personally bothered with. Somehow, it just seemed like an really arrogant cake- yes, if a cake could display emotion, this opera cake would be full of it, to the point where you want to knock it down a notch, but you don't because you realise that this cake has every right to be full of itself.

As a part of the challenge, the aim was to make a 'light' opera cake- traditionally they are made of yummy stuff like chocolate. I ended up using the flavours of ground almond, orange and white chocolate in mine.

Sadly, I did not give this cake the time it deserved- it still tastes nice, but it is not up to my usual standards. Oh well, I had a lot of fun juggling around all of the components!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

too bad! I'm sure you are being too hard on yourself and the results, too.

Jaime said...

it does not look to me like you failed! i agree, you are being too hard on yourself - it looks great!

Anonymous said...

At least you didn't give up! On to the next challenge. ;)

Erin said...

Thanks for the kind responses folks :)

Anonymous said...

Somethigns work and some don't..it is what you get out of it that is important! Great job on the opera cake..it was a difficult challenge

Anonymous said...

Mine was a disaster, too, but hey, that's what it's all about- trial and (sometimes lots of) error...

Anonymous said...

This was a real tough one, for sure!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I wanted to write to you, but couldn't find your email, so thought I'd leave a comment instead. We at Wowzio have built some beautiful and engaging widgets for your blog.
These pull up content, images & user-activity from your blog automatically, auto update, and are free of charge. Please take a look at the "Panoramic Slideshow", "Live Activity" and "Feed Content" widget for your blog at
See Wowzio Widgets for Your Blog

I apologize for having to leave a comment, please note it is not my intent to spam you.

Thx-Alisha
alisha.wright1@gmail.com